RKO copies of William Faulkner typescript of Gunga Din screenplay
Scope and Contents
The RKO copies of William Faulkner typescript of Gungha Din screenplay (1936, 0.03 cubic feet) contain:
1. "Notes for an original story by W. Faulkner. PUKKA SAHIB (Tentative Title). Dictated by W. Faulkner to Kathleen Jones." April 10, 1936. 6 pp. 2. "Notes for an original story by W. Faulkner. Dictated by W. Faulkner to Kathleen Jones." April 13, 1936. 10 pp. 3. "GUNGHA DIN (Sequence and Scenes) by William Faulkner. Dictated by W. Faulkner to Kathleen Jones." April 16, 1936. 1 page preface and 21 pages, numbered 16, I-V. 4. "GUNGHA DIN" by William Faulkner. 50 pp. Screenplay.
- Creation: 1936
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use.
Producer of Gungha Din, Edward Small joined the RKO Pictures in 1936. He owned the rights to the Rudyard Kiping poem, he hired William Faulkner in April (on loan from Twentieth Century) to work for five weeks developing a script for the picture. Faulkner is not credited on the final script for the film, which was released in 1939.
0.03 Cubic Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was purchased on December 10, 2015.
- RKO copies of William Faulkner typescript of Gunga Din screenplay
- Ellen Welch
- 5 May 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library Repository
Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library
P.O. Box 400110
University of Virginia
Charlottesville Virginia 22904-4110 United States