Skip to main content

     MANUSCRIPTS and ARCHIVAL MATERIAL

University of Virginia School of Medicine Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology records

 Collection
Identifier: MS-50

  • Staff Only

Scope and Contents

The collection includes annual reports, budgets, and publications by department members. There is also correspondence on the following subjects: Tiffany J. Williams' hiring, the distribution of patients between Gynecology and Surgery, Martha Jefferson Hospital's response to the opening of Northridge, the prenatal diagnosis program and its relationship to the Department of Pediatrics and the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, medical students at Norfolk Maternity Center, agreement between the Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Family Practice regarding obstetrical patients, and accommodation of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the Radiology Department regarding ultrasound procedures.

Dates

  • 1929-1992

Access Restrictions

Collection is open to research.

Use Restrictions

Copyright restrictions may apply to some materials.

Biographical/Historical Information

Dr. Guy Harbert, the donor of this collection, wrote "Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Virginia 1825 to 1999" (HS-RARE OVERSIZE RG 501 .V5 O37 2001). In his chronology he writes, "For almost 100 years, since its inception in 1825, medical education was listed as the University of Virginia Department of Medicine. In 1827 the appointment of Dr. Robley Dunglison (the first professor of medicine) was expanded to include the title 'Professor of Obstetrics.' Gynecology was first listed as a subject separate from surgery in 1891. Following that date, in general, obstetrics was included in medicine and gynecology in surgery. Dr. Douglas Macon, a 1897 graduate of the Medical School and Charlottesville physician living on High Street, was named Professor of Obstetrics in 1906. He taught obstetrics and was in charge of deliveries. In a reorganization of medical education in 1924, the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology was formed."



Dr. Leroy A. Calkins was recruited to head the new Department. He resigned in 1929 to be replaced by Dr. F. Bayard Carter until the hiring of Dr. Tiffany J. Williams in 1931. Dr. Williams' correspondence, published papers and talks make up a sizeable portion of the collection. Dr. Williams served until his untimely death in 1947. Dr. John M. Nokes who arrived the same year as Dr. Williams as an Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology became the Acting Chairman. He served in that capacity until 1950 when Dr. W. Norman Thornton, Jr. became Chair. Dr. Thornton was followed by Dr. Paul B. Underwood, Jr. in 1979 who was chair until 1999.

Extent

.83 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Box 1 is arranged by date. Box 2 is arranged by subject.

Acquisition Information

The collection was donated by Dr. Guy M. Harbert, Jr.

Physical Description

2 boxes, 5" x 10.5" x 15.5", 1 foot, 28 folders

General

Processed by:
Historical Collections Staff
Title
A Guide to the Papers of the University of Virginia School of Medicine Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1929-1992
Subtitle
A Collection in Historical Collections, Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, MS-50
Date
© 2011 By the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia. All rights reserved.
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Description is in English

Repository Details

Part of the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library Repository

Contact:
Claude Moore Health Sciences Library
1300 Jefferson Park Avenue
P.O. Box 800722
Charlottesville Virginia 22908-0722 United States
(434) 982-0576