Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Scope and Contents COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT This collection contains documents - mostly letters - from a variety of Virginia and Maryland judges, Supreme Court personalities from the 19th century.
Collection — Box: BW 6, Folder: 1 [X031589275]
Identifier: MSS 16133
Scope and Contents Sarah A. C. Brown manuscript (1851-1855; 0.03 cubic feet) includes copies of poetry, and cheerful passages belonging to Sarah Brown.
Collection — Box: BW 22, Folder: 1 [X032652609]
Identifier: MSS 16439
Scope and Contents Note The three sentimentalities, love, revenge, and rivalry by C. Cowen manuscript (1867; 0.03 cubic feet) is in 3 parts in one vol., fashioned to look like a published work, complete with frontispiece and title page. A home-made book that reads like a gothic novel, full of adventure, romance, and drama.
Scope and Contents COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT The manuscript of the book Court Tales, Trials and Appeals relates to the actual experiences of the author, a retired lawyer, and an alumnus of the University of Virginia Law School. He offers advice and points out pitfalls to the law student and young lawyer that they would not find in a textbook or case book. Although the cases were tried in North Carlolina, and involve North Carolina law, the procedure is identical to...
Identifier: MSS 15845
Scope and Contents Joel Kovarsky papers (2011-2013; 0.25 cubic feet) consist of drafts from his book, "The True Geography of Our Country," the book proposal, e-mail correspondence with his editor, Mark Mones, and the Virginia Press.
Scope and Contents COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT This manuscript style or form book was created by James Armour of Edinburgh, from about 1698 to 1701. The work begins with a "Decreet Arbitrall," but marriage contracts predominate. In addition, there are forms for bonds, wills, a ship's sale, an indenture, a pension, and other matters.The first 287 pages are written in one hand, followed by several blank leaves and eleven pages in a different hand. An abbreviated, six page index is found at...
Collection — Box: BW 19, Folder: 1 [X031589475]
Identifier: MSS 16390
Scope and Contents The medieval manuscript leaf (circa1300-1500; 0.03 cubic feet) the text is not identified. It may be from a martyrology. Contains a chapter concerning Pope Callixtus I. Later used in a bookbinding perhaps. The margins have been trimmed, dampstained. It is on vellum and is rubricated in red.
Collection — Box: BW 6, Folder: 1 [X031589277]
Identifier: MSS 16137
Scope and Contents Ella F. Simon school newspaper (1859; 0.03 cubic feet) contains eleven pages of handwritten articles, beginning with an "edatoreal" about the state of the nation, followed by articles with titles such as "Night," "The Poet," "Dear Emily," "A Ride," "Our Wreath," "Composition," "Sniff," and more.
Scope and Contents COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT This collection contains a pre-edited manuscript of the book, Justice Daniel Dissenting: A Biography of Peter V. Daniel, 1784 - 1860. This manuscript contains a great deal of Virginia history, as well as many small details that did not make it into the final version of the book.
- Subject: manuscripts (documents) X
- Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library 5
- Arthur J. Morris Law Library Special Collections 4
- Armour, James, -1756 1
- Barbour, Philip P., 1783-1841 1
- Bocock, Willis P., 1806-1887 1
- Bouldin, Thomas T., 1781-1834 1
- Brockenbrough, William, 1778-1838 1
- Brooke, Francis T., 1763-1851 1
- Carter, Charles L., 1733-1796 1
- Coleman, Richard H. 1
- Daniel, Peter V., 1784-1860 1
- Daniel, William, Jr., 1806-1873 1
- Frank, John P., 1917-2002 1
- Giles, William F., 1807-1879 1
- Green, J. W. 1
- Halyburton, James D., 1803-1879 1
- Hening, William W., 1768-1828 1
- Lomax, John Tayloe, 1781-1862 1
- Lovelace, James B., Sr. 1
- Marshall, John, 1755-1835 1
- Peters, Richard, 1781-1848 1
- Randolph, Peyton, 1721-1775 1
- Robertson, John 1
- Sloan, Billie Kaser 1
- Snyder, Helen 1
- Spotswood, Alexander, 1676-1740 1
- Stanard, Robert, 1781-1846 1
- Trimble, Marsha 1
- Tucker, Henry St. George, 1780-1848 1
- Waller, Benjamin, 1716-1786 1
- Wayne, James M., 1790-1867 1
- Wellford, Robert, 1753-1823 1 ∧ less