Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 66
Scope and Contents COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT This collection contains documents - mostly letters - from a variety of Virginia and Maryland judges, Supreme Court personalities from the 19th century.
Item — Box: BW 21, Folder: [X031750308]
Identifier: MSS 16434
Content Description The J. Battle letter to Samuel Battle (circa 1797; 0.03 cubic feet) documents one piece of the titular relatives' correspondence. The letter is marked "Care of Thomas Maule"; Maule may have been the same Maule that owned a soap and candle factory in late-18th century Virginia. Little information circulates online about either of the Battles, but the contents of the letter should be legible to those accustomed to reading 18th-century cursive.
Collection — Box: BW 22, Folder: 1 [X031660930]
Identifier: MSS 16450
Scope and Contents Note The Ray Becker imprisonment related letters collection 1935; 0.03 cobic feet) consists of two autograph letters signed by John Dos Passos June 1 and 4, 1935, to Kate Crane-Gartz, accompanied by a four-page autograph letter to Dos Passos from Ray Becker dated January 22, 1935. Dos Passos writes to the Pasadena heiress and supporter of workers' causes, Kate Crane-Gantz, about the case of Ray Becker, the last of the I.W.W. "Wobblies," to be in prison in the aftermath of the 1919 Armistice Day...
Identifier: MSS 16392
Scope and Contents The Jonathan A. Bishop papers (1897-1924; 0.25 cubic feet) consist of his letters to his wife, Florence Collier Bishop, during his service as a Quartermaster Sergeant in the Spanish-American War (1898-1899) and government documents regarding a pension for his wife (1897-1924), totaling over 80 items. There is also one letter from his wife describing a lynching of an African American man named John Henry James on July 12, 1898 at Wood's Crossing, Charlottesville, Va. Also included is a letter...
Identifier: MSS 15920
Scope and Contents Records of the Book Baskets (1995-2018; 1.5 cubic feet) consists of meeting agendas, minutes, reports, news clippings, photographs, thank you letters, information on grants, contributors, and general correspondence. The collection is organized into three series.
Identifier: MSS 16353
Scope and Contents Charlottesville Woolen Mills, Charlottesville, VA. Business records, 1868-1956. Incorporated 1868 by H.C. Marchant; operated until 1962.This collection is comprised of ledgers, papers, artifacts, a map, and a panoramic photograph. It is divided into two series: Business Records and Miscellaneous. The first series, Business Records contains ledgers and business related paperwork, such as correspondence and legal documetns. The second series, Miscellaneous, contains the remaining...
Identifier: MSS 14439
Scope and Contents Note Eugene Edward Chiles papers, (3 cubic feet, 1915-1922) contain love letters from his girlfriend, Eugenie O'Neill who is traveling in European circles with wealthy and or famous acquaintances, while he is working as a realtor in Pittsburgh, PA. and Stephens City, Virginia, after the war. Her letters mostly describe her feelings for him and mention (briefly) famous places, people, and events from the Twenties. Topics consist of post war conditions, unemployment, strikes, feminism, racism, and...
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 16419
Scope and Contents Note The Lewis M. Coleman, Jr. papers (circa 1870-1926; 0.05 cubic feet) document Coleman's studies and travels to Richmond, VA and Charleston, SC. Collection materials include eleven letters Coleman wrote from Hanover Academy, VA to his mother Mary. Among other topics, Coleman discusses his friend Richard Henry Jesse (1853-1921), who briefly attended the University of Virginia. Collection materials also include two photographs, one of which depicts Coleman's son Lewis III among other University of...
Identifier: MSS -98-3
Identifier: MSS 16075
Scope and Contents The Francis H. Fife papers (1947-2015; 168.4 cubic feet) document the personal and professional life of Mr. Fife with an emphasis on his civic and community interests. Types of materials include reports, meeting minutes, correspondence, memoranda, journals, and some family documents. The collection is organized into three series: Oak Lawn 1, Oak Lawn 2, and Westview.Please note, the file titles in this collection have been transcribed. The file titles were created by Mr. Fife or...
Scope and Contents COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT This collection of four letters (1933-1934), sent to Mr. Wisner by Assistant Dean of the Department of Law George B. Eager Jr. and by Armistead M. Dobie, Dean of the Department of Law of the University of Virginia and a 1931 oversized photo of UVA Varsity Track team, was donated to Special Collections, April 16, 2014.
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 15968
Scope and Contents Albert Gallatin papers (1795-1828; 0.1 cubic feet) contains an oversize tableau chronologique, unnumbered pages of correspondence concerning the Baron de Gallatin, 1777; letter from Albert Gallatin to David Lenox, Washington D.C. January 4, 1808; letter from Albert Gallatin to Johnathan Bu[?], Washington D.C. September 7, 1808; letter from Albert Gallatin to Thomas Worthington, New Geneva, PA September 10, 1823; letter from John Ferguson to Albert Gallatin, "Head of Sassafras," February 9,...
File — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 16178
Scope and Contents Note The Margaret Shelton Gillis papers (1936-1975; 0.9 cubic feet) document the education and personal life of Virginia teacher Margaret Gillis. The collection contains school ephemera and letters, the former including handwritten notes from high school, newspapers, programs from various events, tests, student photographs, a Westhampton College handbook, printed cards, invitations, and broadsides.Of particular note within the collection are letters from two soldiers during WWII. There...
Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 16416
Scope and Contents The Fernande Gontier papers (1787-2005; 8.6 cubic feet) document Dr. Gontier's scholarship on Simone de Beauvoir; Colette; Etienne Cabet and his followers in Nauvoo, Illinois; Mathilde de Morny; and Comtesse Marie-Catherine d'Aulnoy. The collection includes manuscript drafts, research files, correspondence, and books representing Dr. Gontier's work. Materials also include manuscripts for cookbooks co-written by Dr. Gontier. The papers are arranged into six series.
Collection — Box: BW 6, Folder: 1 [X031589280]
Identifier: MSS 16143
Scope and Contents Nelle Neal Goodykoontz papers (1926-1930; 0.03 cubic feet) contain three report cards, two commencement announcements, invitations, tuition statements, photographs, and letters. There are also four hand-written letters from Laura Lee Dorsey, principal of St. Anne's school.
Identifier: MSS 16398
Scope and Contents Goss family papers contain Civil War letters and documents including a pardon for Ebenezer Walker Goss from President Andrew Johnson in 1865, manuscript receipts of goods sold to the Confederate Army, slave receipts, and papers (mostly correspondence) related to their 19th and early 20th century family in Somerset, Virginia. Business records reflect their apple orchard, farming, and dairy business which was maintained by Charlotte “Lottie” Goss (1861-1914), and her brother Ebenezer “Lee”...
Collection — Box: BW 18, Folder: 1 [X030899286]
Identifier: MSS 16394
Scope and Contents The Grover family papers (1825-1917; 0.04 cubic feet) also includes papers from the Watts and Harris families. This collection contains receipts, a deed of gift for enslaved people (Dolly, and children Nancy, Elvira, and James from Mary Harris to Rosa M. N. Harris, circa 1845-47), a newspaper clipping of Preston Watt, and ration books of Bettie and William Grover. The papers came in a fabric packet stamped, “The Virginia Fire and Marine Insurance Co. of Richmond, VA” which is included.
Identifier: MSS 14969
Scope and Contents The Francis Burton Harrison papers (1921-1945; 0.5 cubic feet) consist of personal and family papers of (1873-1957), United States Senator and Governor-General of the Philippines. Most of the correspondence is from the World War II era, and the Harrisons had just escaped the Biarritz and San Jean de Luz region of the German Occupied zone of France in [April?] and made their way to the United States in 1941.Much of the general correspondence is of a genealogical nature or is in...
Collection — Box: BW 15, Folder: 1 [X030899214]
Identifier: MSS 16360
Scope and Contents This collection consists of correspondence and ephemera from the estate of Randolph Huntington. Much of the correspondence pertains in some way to the history, breeding, raising, racing, or showing of the Arabian horse in the United States. The papers contain letters from breeders and owners of Arabian horses, editors and writers for sporting periodicals of the period, and correspondents with others interested in horses; printed ephemera; financial and legal papers; pedigrees and...
- Subject: correspondence X
- Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library 51
- Arthur J. Morris Law Library Special Collections 15
- Dillard, Hardy Cross, 1902-1982 2
- Eager, George B., Jr., 1888-1942 2
- Frankfurter, Felix, 1882-1965 2
- Lile, William Minor, 1859-1935 2
- Moore, John Bassett, 1860-1947 2
- Barbour, Philip P., 1783-1841 1
- Barling, Henry A. 1
- Beaman, Charles Coatsworth (Cotesworth), 1840-1900 1
- Beauvoir, Simone de, 1908-1986 1
- Blake, Thomas W. 1
- Bocock, Willis P., 1806-1887 1
- Bouldin, Thomas T., 1781-1834 1
- Boyd, Thomas Munford, 1899-1985 1
- Brockenbrough, William, 1778-1838 1
- Brooke, Francis T., 1763-1851 1
- Brown, Jerry 1
- Brown, Pat, 1905-1996 1
- Buffington, J. 1
- Burton, Harold H., 1888-1964 1
- Cabet, Étienne, 1788-1856 1
- Cann, Elizabeth Sloan (Elizabeth Sloan Tucker Cann), 1917-2002 1
- Carter, Charles L., 1733-1796 1
- Clark, Tom C., 1899-1977 1
- Clemons, Harry, 1879-1968 1
- Codman, W. C. 1
- Cogswell, William 1
- Coleman, Richard H. 1
- Colette, 1873-1954 1
- Crane, Nathalia, 1913-1998 1
- Crapo, William W. (1830-1926) 1
- Daniel, William, Jr., 1806-1873 1
- Darden, Colgate W. (Colgate Whitehead), 1897-1981 1
- Davis, A. H. 1
- Davis, John 1
- Dobie, Armistead Mason, 1881-1962 1
- Douglas, William O., 1898-1980 1
- Fielding, Henry, 1707-1754 1
- Fife, Francis H., 1920-2015 1
- Gannett, Allen 1
- Giles, William F., 1807-1879 1
- Glenn, Garrard, 1878-1949 1
- Gontier, Fernande 1
- Green, J. W. 1
- Gregory, Charles O., 1902-1987 1
- Grimm, Margaret W. 1
- Hall, Edward R. 1
- Halyburton, James D., 1803-1879 1
- Hand, August Noble, 1869-1954 1
- Harlan, John M., 1899-1971 1
- Harrison, Francis Burton, 1873-1957 1
- Haskins, William H. 1
- Hening, William W., 1768-1828 1
- Huntington, Randolph, 1828-1916 1
- Jackson, Robert H., 1892-1954 1
- Johnson, Herbert, 1901-1976 1
- Johnson, Nunnally 1
- Jones, T. Catesby, 1880-1946 1
- Kennedy, Edward M., 1932-2009 1
- Kennedy, John F., 1917-1963 1
- Kennedy, Robert F., 1925-1968 1
- Knopf, Alfred A., Sr., 1892-1984 1
- Lambert, G. T. 1
- Lambert, James 1
- Lomax, John Tayloe, 1781-1862 1
- Lynn, Wallace R., 1897-1990 1
- Lévy, Maurice, 1929- 1
- Marshall, John, 1755-1835 1
- Maupin, Socrates, 1808-1871 1
- Meador, Daniel J., 1926-2013 1
- Minor, John B., 1813-1895 1
- Morison, Henry A. 1
- Morison, Henry S. K., 1846-1899 1
- Morny, Mathilde de, 1862-1944 1
- Newcomb, John Lloyd, 1881-1954 1
- Osborn, S., Jr. 1
- Otis, A. B. 1
- Paul, John, 1883-1964 1
- Paulsen, Monrad G., 1918-1980 1
- Perry, Elijah F. 1
- Peters, Richard, 1781-1848 1
- Powell, Thomas Reed, 1880-1955 1
- Prettyman, E. Barrett, 1891-1971 1
- Randolph, Peyton, 1721-1775 1
- Ribble, Frederick D. G., 1898-1970 1
- Ritchie, John, III, 1904-1988 1
- Robertson, John 1
- Robinson, Armstead L., 1947-1995 1
- Roosevelt, Franklin D., 1882-1945 1
- Shattuck, George O. 1
- Simpson, Charles F. 1
- Sobeloff, Simon, 1894-1973 1
- Sokol, Ronald P. 1
- Spotswood, Alexander, 1676-1740 1
- Stanard, Robert, 1781-1846 1
- Stone, Harlan F., 1872-1946 1
- Swain, John H. 1
- Tompkins, Elizabeth, 1899-1981 1
- Tucker family 1
- Tucker, Beverley R., Dr. (Beverley Randolph Tucker), 1874-1945 1
- Tucker, Beverley Randolph, Jr., 1916-1973 1 ∧ less