Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Overview The University of Virginia Law Library's collection of Scottish Court of Session Papers consists of printed and formerly bound case materials presented before the Court of Session, the highest civil court in Scotland, from 1759 to 1834. As a court of appeal and of first instance, the Court of Session in this period held jurisdiction over contract and commercial cases, matters of succession and land ownership, divorce proceedings, intellectual property and copyright disputes, and contested...
Dates: 1757 - 1834
Identifier: MSS -88-2
Dates: Majority of material found within 1910 - 1940; 1881 - 1956
Scope and Contents Miscellaneous English and American documents that include indentures, wills, deeds, land titles and financial records. These documents span the years 1559 through 1847.
Dates: 1559 - 1847
Dates: 1910-1978 (bulk 1935-1974)
Christine Smith Files Concerning Conservation of the Wills of George Washington and Martha Washington
Identifier: MSS 16289
Scope and Contents Note The Christine Smith Conservation files (1945-2016; 2.69 cubic feet) concern the conservation of the wills of George Washington and Martha Washington. The files contain slide photographs of each page of each will, usually with additional detail photos. Each set of before-treatment slides represents the wills as they appeared in 1998, approximately nine decades after manuscript restorer William Berwick preserved them; the after-treatment slides document the appearance of each will in 2003....
Dates: Majority of material found within 1945-2016
Identifier: MSS -78-11
Scope and Contents The Papers of John Ritchie document his years at Virginia from 1972 until his death in 1988. His files reflect the range and intensity of his work after his official retirement. Predominant are the manuscripts and correspondence for Decedents' Estates and Trusts, editions five, six, and seven, and The First Hundred Years, as well as correspondence files concerning publications of The Foundation Press and committee activities of...
Dates: 1971 - 1988
Identifier: MSS -88-1
Scope and Contents COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT This collection contains papers from the legal practice of J.M. Shugar and A.W. Vaisey, solicitors. Their firm was located in Tring, Hertfordshire, in south central England. The collection documents work from 1850 to 1914, although these papers relate mostly to the period 1875-1900.The Shugar and Vaisey practice was mainly property and probate law. The bulk of the material in this collection consists of conveyances, enfranchisements,...
Scope and Contents COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT This small collection contains the one page will signed by mariner Joseph Bonner on board the Hardwicke on February 15, 1745. It was also signed by witnesses Cateret LeGeyt (?) and John Hatfield.
- Subject: Wills X
- Arthur J. Morris Law Library Special Collections 7
- Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library 1
- Bonner, Joseph 1
- Buck , Gordon M., 1875-1970 1
- Buck, Samuel H., 1841-1929 1
- F. W. Woolworth Company 1
- General Claims Commission (Mexico and United States) 1
- Hardwicke (Ship) 1
- Hatfield, John 1
- LeGeyt, Cateret 1
- Pacific Oil Company 1
- Ritchie, John, III, 1904-1988 1
- Scotland. Court of Session 1
- Shugar, John Merritt, 1823-1877 1
- Skerritt, James Lewis, 1898-1974 1
- Smidt, Thomas L., 1871-1940 1
- Southern Pacific Company 1
- Strongman, Richard H., 1880-1940 1
- United States. Department of Treasury. Internal Revenue Service 1
- United States. Foreign Claims Settlement Commission 1
- Vaisey, Arthur William, 1851-1939 1
- Venner, Clarence H., 1856-1933 1
- Virginia Bar Association 1
- Whitney, Gertrude Vanderbilt, 1875-1942 1 ∧ less