Showing Collections: 1 - 16 of 16
Scope and Contents COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT This collection contains documents - mostly letters - from a variety of Virginia and Maryland judges, Supreme Court personalities from the 19th century.
Scope and Contents COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT This volume is a docket of cases heard by Judge Pingrey in the April term, 1839, of the Washington County Court in Vermont. The 254 cases are numbered, and notes include the names of plaintiff and defendant, their attorneys, brief information about earlier proceedings, costs, and final disposition.
Scope and Contents ACQUISITION INFORMATION DATE RECEIVED 2014
Identifier: MSS -78-2
Dates: Majority of material found within 1902 (1939-1956) 1965
Identifier: MSS -05-1
Identifier: MSS -98-2
Identifier: MSS -93-3
Identifier: MSS -2011-01
Scope and Contents The Papers of Judge Richard L. Williams (85 archival boxes, 34 linear ft.) were donated to the Law School in December of 2011. The documents portray his tenure as a Judge in the Eastern District of Virginia. There are also some personal documents that give us a glance of his personal life. The papers maintained their original organization: Chambers Manuals and Jury Instructions – Sample documents used in Judge Williams' chambers.Chrono Files – 1988–2010: We...
Scope and Contents COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT This collection consists of one small leatherbound journal containing two sets of records. The front of the book contains a list of court actions for Lincoln County [Maine] Superior Judicial Court 1818 - 1820. The back of the book contains Smith's notes and records as Administrator of the Estate of Joseph E. Smith, 1837 - 1850.
Scope and Contents COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT This sketch and letter were given to Special Collections by Mary Ryan-Waters, Executor of Edward J. Ryan’s will, to be added to the Ida Libby Dengrove Collection, in April of 2016. The sketch was given to Judge Ryan, United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of New York, by Don Luftig, NBC Producer. There are also two letters of condolence from Judge Melanie L. Cyganowski, U.S.B.J., and Judge Sarah Sharer Curly, U.S.B.J., and one...
Scope and Contents COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT This handwritten docket book, 1871-1889, contains information about cases handled by Richard Watson, an attorney in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. Most of the cases concern debt settlements, but also included are commercial disputes and probate matters. The records contain information about disposition, costs, fees, and actions taken. The volume begins with an index of clients.
Identifier: MSS -2013-01
Scope and Contents The Papers of A. E. Dick Howard reflect his academic and professional endeavors. The archives have received five installments of papers from Professor Howard, plus an entire collection: The Papers of A. E. Dick Howard for the Virginia Commission for Constitutional Revision, received in 1981, MSS 81-4. Papers related to the nomination of Judge Robert Bork to the Supreme Court: these files consist of some reports and statements in relation to the nomination of Judge Robert H. Bork to the...
Scope and Contents Mr. Duvall’s Papers consist of cases and other materials pertaining to his tenure as an Administrative Law Judge and later as an attorney to Kenyon and Kenyon, working with Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930. The papers are divided in two series:1. Cases where he acted as a judge on section 337 matters.2. Cases where he was an attorney for the plaintiff. The most important case in this section is the DRAMs [Certain Dynamic Random Access Memories Components]. The...
Scope and Contents These papers document Smith’s service on the U.S. Court of Claims, his appointment to the court, court administration, articles and speeches, and the federal court re-organization of the late 1970s that concluded with the Federal Courts Improvement Act of 1979, and the creation of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. The collection reflects the administrative process that took place "to restructure a portion of the intermediate appellate tier." Judge...
Identifier: MSS -04-1
Scope and Contents This collection contains notebooks, memoranda and correspondence with between Judge Gordon and the University of Virginia School of Law, the Supreme Court of Appeals of Virginia, the Virginia Law Review and the law firm of McGuire Woods. The use of language is a recurrent topic in this collection. There are extensive articles and newspaper clippings about the use of plain English and legal writing, as well as a collection of Gordon's speeches and notes.
Scope and Contents COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT This collection contains a pre-edited manuscript of the book, Justice Daniel Dissenting: A Biography of Peter V. Daniel, 1784 - 1860. This manuscript contains a great deal of Virginia history, as well as many small details that did not make it into the final version of the book.
- Subject: Judges X
- University of Virginia. School of Law 3
- United States. Court of Appeals (4th Circuit) 2
- Barbour, Philip P., 1783-1841 1
- Bissell, John W. 1
- Bocock, Willis P., 1806-1887 1
- Bork, Robert H., 1927-2012 1
- Bouldin, Thomas T., 1781-1834 1
- Brockenbrough, William, 1778-1838 1
- Brooke, Francis T., 1763-1851 1
- Byrd, Harry F. (Harry Flood), 1887-1966 1
- Carter, Charles L., 1733-1796 1
- Coleman, Richard H. 1
- Curtis, Pliny, 1795-1853 1
- Daniel, Peter V., 1784-1860 1
- Daniel, William, Jr., 1806-1873 1
- Dengrove, Ida Libby, 1919-2005 1
- Dobie, Armistead Mason, 1881-1962 1
- Duvall, Donald K. 1
- Frank, John P., 1917-2002 1
- Giles, William F., 1807-1879 1
- Glass, Carter, 1858-1946 1
- Gordon, Thomas C., Jr., 1915-2003 1
- Green, J. W. 1
- Halyburton, James D., 1803-1879 1
- Hening, William W., 1768-1828 1
- Howard, A. E. Dick 1
- International Military Tribunal for the Far East (IMTFE) 1
- Kennedy, Edward M., 1932-2009 1
- Lively, Pierce, 1921-2016 1
- Lomax, John Tayloe, 1781-1862 1
- Marshall, John, 1755-1835 1
- Parker, John J., 1885-1958 1
- Peters, Richard, 1781-1848 1
- Pingrey, William M., 1806-1885 1
- Randolph, Peyton, 1721-1775 1
- Redfield, Isaac F., 1805-1876 1
- Revercomb, George Hughes, 1929-1993 1
- Robertson, John 1
- Roosevelt, Franklin D., 1882-1945 1
- Ryan, Edward J., 1924-2005 1
- Smith, Edward S., 1919-2001 1
- Smith, Joseph E., 1782-1837 1
- Smith, Samuel Emerson, 1788-1860 1
- Soper, Morris A., 1873-1963 1
- Spotswood, Alexander, 1676-1740 1
- Stanard, Robert, 1781-1846 1
- Tucker, Henry St. George, 1780-1848 1
- United States. Court of Appeals (6th Circuit) 1
- United States. Court of Claims 1
- United States. District Court (New Jersey) 1
- United States. District Court (Virginia : Eastern District) 1
- United States. Supreme Court. Advisory Committee on Rules of Civil Procedure 1
- Waller, Benjamin, 1716-1786 1
- Watson, Richard, 1823-1892 1
- Wayne, James M., 1790-1867 1
- Wellford, Robert, 1753-1823 1
- Williams, Richard L., 1923-2011 1 ∧ less