Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 53
Collection — Box: BW 39, Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 16549
Scope and Contents Amanda's commonplace book album consists of 13 pages used for inscriptions and verse, a majority of them with the location "Germantown [PA]." Amanda's full name is not known.
Dates: 1873 - 1875
Collection — Box: BW 34, Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 16550
Content Description Amelia's memory album and book of handwritten verse, approximately 6.5" x 4.75" brown leather bound with gilt decorated borders on covers and title on spine. It has marbled end papers. There are 46 pages used for inscriptions, verse, and literature, with a few dates in the range of 1823-1832.
Collection — Box: BW 6, Folder: 1 [X031589275]
Identifier: MSS 16133
Scope and Contents Sarah A. C. Brown manuscript (1851-1855; 0.03 cubic feet) includes copies of poetry, and cheerful passages belonging to Sarah Brown.
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 16563
Dates: 1857 - 1859
Collection — Box: BW 34, Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 16547
Content Description A ladies album belonging to Lucy Bradbury Bruce of Worcester County, Massachusetts which contains five engraved plates, sentiments from friends and family, three calligraphy drawings, and a watercolor theorem of a rose. Most of the well wishes are signed and dated, and many include locations. Predominately the locations and many of the signers are women including two of her sisters.
Dates: 1853 - 1868
Abstract Commonplace books with copies of promisory notes, receipts, indentures, affidavits, correspodence related to Frankland affairs.
Dates: ca. 1740-1811
Abstract Manuscript concerning property law.
Dates: ca. 1832
Abstract Commonplace book manuscript in two or more hands containing abstracts from Fearne on Contigent Remedies, 6th edition and Saunders on Uses, 3rd edition.
Abstract Attorney's notes on Blackstone's Commentaries and the treatment of inherintance law.
Abstract Handwritten precedent book with subjects in alphabetical order.
Collection — Box: BW 16, Folder: 1 [X030899238]
Identifier: MSS 16320
Scope and Contents Margaret Crockett album, MSS 16320, 1905-1933, 0.03 cubic feet is described as a commercial album with gold-stamped leather batting-stuffed covers and multi-colored gilt-edged pages, covered with a dull green hand-made fabric cover embroidered "M.C." in red thread. Front free endpaper reads "Margaret Crockett / July 1911," though one pasted entry is dated 1905 and the latest entry is from 1933. The initials RNS (Royal Naval School), is found scattered throughout the volume, as are the locations...
Collection — Box: BW 22, Folder: 1
Content Description This collection contains "The Star" 1924 yearbook for ‘Grade 7B,’ handwritten by Buckingham County teacher, Mary Elizabeth Glover. Each page has a student's name and quotes and comments about them. Many pages include a small photograph of the child named.
Collection — Box: BW 40, Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 16650
Collection — Box: BW 30, Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 16578
Content Description This collection contains a "The Forget Me Not Album" belonging to Bettie A. Ford, of Lynchburg, Virginia. The album contains a mix of hand-written sentiments, poems, and remembrances written to Ford. The entries are mostly signed by initial or first name and many are dated. A few of the entries have annotations with additional information about the creator. In addition to these entries, there appear to be journal type jottings, possibly written by Ford. Also included are printed poems,...
Collection — Box: BW 31, Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 16580
Dates: 1865 - 1866
Collection — Box: BW 6, Folder: 1 [X031589281]
Identifier: MSS 16146
Scope and Contents Sadie Eleanor Garbee commonplace book (1885-1886; 0.03 cubic feet) includes sentiments from friends and relatives, as well as die-cut chromolithographs of flowers. The album is in a horizontal format and also contains poetry and quotations.
Collection — Box: BW 6, Folder: 1 [X031589279]
Identifier: MSS 16141
Scope and Contents Nannie N. Gardner commonplace book (1853-1862; 0.03 cubic feet) consists of a gold stamped cover and gold title page indicating "J.C. Riker, publisher." The commonplace book was published with elaborate gilt title page and hand-colored botanical frontispiece and four similar botanical plates. Most pages in the book have been filled with poems and other inscriptions to Nannie from her friends. Includes entry signed "John Dooley."
Collection — Box: BW 38, Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 16310
Content Description This collection contains the memory album of Ann Gilman. The octavo album, restored, with original light blue-green paper covered boards and new black leather spine. 71 pages, including 3 of the 5 engravings, were used for written verse and inscriptions dating from 1835-1839. Inscriptions are signed from Dover, New Hampshire and Bangor, Maine. Two inscriptiosn have small drawings. One page has a page of verse secured with pins. New front and rear end-papers. Album has 76 unnumbered pages and 5...
Collection — Box: BW 28, Folder: 1 [X032669085]
Identifier: MSS 16515
Content Description This collection contains a friendship album belonging to Harriet "Hattie" D. Brown Gray (1867-1947) a resident of Massachusetts and Connecticut. The majority of the individuals who wrote an entry were from South Lee, MA or the surrounding towns. After Hattie's marriage in 1894 to Frank S. Gray (1852-1918), and their subsequent move to Connecticut, the majority of writers are from that state. Hattie's husband, Frank, signed the album on their wedding day. On the same page is a note regarding...
Dates: 1890 - 1916
Collection — Box: BW 43, Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 16383
Content Description Sentiments and poems of friendship, most signed and some are dated; "Knoxville, [Il.]" "Jacksonville, [Il.]" "Abingdon College, Knox County Illinois" "Princeton, Ill."
Dates: 1854 - 1856
- Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library 45
- Arthur J. Morris Law Library Special Collections 8
- Women's Scrapbook/ Commonplace Book Collections (University of Virginia) 11
- Friendship 3
- Poetry 3
- Friendship booklets 2
- University of Virginia. School of Law -- History 2
- manuscripts (documents) 2
- Chancellorsville, Battle of, Chancellorsville, Va., 1863 1
- Drawings (visual works) 1
- Frederick female seminary 1
- Law -- New Jersey 1
- Law -- Study and teaching 1
- Lawyers -- Great Britain 1
- Legal correspondence 1
- Legal literature 1
- Practice of law -- New York, NY 1
- School yearbooks 1
- Slavery--United States--History--19th Century 1
- Virginia -- Lynchburg 1
- Virginia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Wales -- History -- 19th century 1
- Women students 1
- Yorkshire (England) -- History 1
- clippings (information artifacts) 1
- diaries 1
- human hair 1
- magazines (periodicals) 1 ∧ less
- Appleton, Daniel, 1785-1849 1
- Blake, Thomas W. 1
- Bruce, Lucy Bradbury, 1830-1902 1
- Colston, Raleigh E., 1825-1896 1
- Dampier, John Lucius, 1792-1853 1
- Fauntleroy, Thomas Turner, 1796-1883 1
- Fauntleroy, Thomas Turner, Jr., 1823-1906 1
- Fearne, Charles, 1742-1794 1
- Frankland, Charles 1
- Frankland, Thomas 1
- Glenn, Garrard, 1878-1949 1
- Glover, Mary Elizabeth , 1906-1987 1
- Gray, Harriet Dudley Brown, 1867-1947 1
- Hand, August Noble, 1869-1954 1
- Johnston, Eliza Ellen (Davidson), 1811-1837 1
- Jones, T. Catesby, 1880-1946 1
- Keen, Ellie F. 1
- Knopf, Alfred A., Sr., 1892-1984 1
- Lile, William Minor, 1859-1935 1
- Mace, Robert W. 1
- Minor, John B., 1813-1895 1
- Minor, Raleigh C., 1869-1923 1
- Moore, John Bassett, 1860-1947 1
- Mosby, Charles L., 1807-1879 1
- Pierpoint, Francis F., 1814-1899 1
- Poole, Frances Eleanor, 1840-1860 1
- Powell, Thomas Reed, 1880-1955 1
- Read, Charles W., 1713-1774 1
- Read, Joseph 1
- Rowe, I., Jr. 1
- Rowley, Harriet Sophia , 1853-1943 1
- Russell, Mary M. 1
- Sadie 1
- Sanders, Francis William, 1769-1831 1
- Stanton, Edwin M., 1814-1869 1
- Stone, Harlan F., 1872-1946 1
- Woolsey, John M., 1877-1945 1 ∧ less