Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Collection — Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 16710
Content Description Document for the hire of an enslaved person named Ben, for $90.00 until December 25, 1852 possibly in Charlestown, West Virginia. Signed by John L. & W. N. Craighill. Docketed on the verso. The document specifies clothing to be furnished during the term of employment and requires the Craighills to return Ben with "a good wool hat, a blanket, a pair of winter shoes, two pair of home-made yarn stockings, one shirt, and a coat, waistcoat, and pants of good fulled-linsey, and pay his taxes."
Identifier: MSS 16413
Content Description The George Washington Lewis papers consists chiefly of correspondence to and from George Washington Lewis and between other family members, but also includes a few photographs of the Lewis family and the homes of "Claymont", "Shellfield" and "Marmion"; a plat of "Claymont"; newsclippings; notes on Lewis family history and genealogy; and a few financial and legal documents.
Dates: Majority of material found in 1805-1906, 1966
Identifier: MSS 1397
Scope and Content The collection primarily contains correspondence of the Randolph family and Nicholas family. Several land title records are also present.
Dates: 1732 - 1860
Identifier: MSS 5533
Scope and Content This collection consists of the papers of the Randolph Family of Edgehill, (commonly called the Edgehill-Randolph Papers) and the Wilson Cary Nicholas papers, ca. 787 items (6 Hollinger boxes, 2.5 linear shelf feet), ca. 1765-1869, and undated.
Dates: 1765 - 1869
Identifier: MSS 12202
Scope and Contents The collection consists of bound volumes, journals, daybooks, and notebooks belonging to John Scott, Richard Marshall Scott,Sr., Richard Marshall Scott,Jr., James L. Gunnell, and Dr. Francis M. Gunnell, and a photograph album belonging to Sarah Louise Rittenhouse. Other materials include printed articles about the Bush Hill plantation,a copy of a book, "The Battles of Aldie, Middleburg and Upperville," and genealogical charts, tables and notes.
Collection — Box: BW 1, Folder: 1 [X031589196]
Identifier: MSS 15982
Scope and Contents This collection of Elisha Roberts and other enslavers holders documents (1822-1860; 0.03 cubic feet) consists of inventories, bill of sales, and appraisal lists of household items including enslaved people of Elisha Roberts, Gotlif Schmidt, James Broddus, Robert Allen Givens, John Cornelison, Jr., Francis Carter, Archibal Brooks, Henry Carpenter, Lewis Campbell, John Bentley, and Talton Taylor.
Identifier: MSS 15753
Scope and Contents The Wickham family papers (1704-1950; 9.5 cubic feet) consist of papers of Richmond, Virginia and “Hickory Hill” plantation in Hanover County, Virginia, including the families of John Wickham (1763-1839), his son, William Fanning Wickham (1793-1880), grandson, Williams Carter Wickham (1820-1888), and great-grandson, Henry Taylor Wickham (1849-1943). The collection contains business correspondence, chiefly concerning legal and agricultural pursuits; family correspondence with...
Dates: 1704-circa 1950
- African Americans -- Virginia 2
- Alexandria (Va.)--History 1
- Daybooks 1
- Hickory Hill (Hanover County, Virginia) 1
- Lewis family 1
- Photograph albums 1
- Photographs 1
- Plantation life -- Virginia 1
- Slavery--United States--History--19th Century 1
- Slaves -- Virginia -- Hanover County 1
- Virginia -- History -- 19th Century 1
- Virginia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Whig Party (Va.) 1
- clippings (information artifacts) 1
- enslaved persons 1
- enslavement 1
- letters (correspondence) 1
- manuscripts (documents) 1
- plantation life 1
- politics and government 1 ∧ less
- Edgehill (Albemarle County, Va. : Estate) 2
- Randolph family 2
- Gunnell family 1
- Gunnell, Francis Mackall, Dr., Surgeon General of the United States Navy, 1827-1922 1
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826 1
- Lewis, George Washington, 1804-1879 1
- Rittenhouse, Sarah Louise (Sarah Louise "Loulie" Rittenhouse), 1845-1942 1
- Scott , Richard Marshall, Sr., 1769-1833 1
- Scott family 1
- Scott, Richard Marshall, Jr., 1829-1856 1
- Wickham family 1
- Wickham, Henry Taylor 1
- Wickham, John, 1763-1839 1
- Wickham, Lucy Taylor, 1830-1913 1
- Wickham, William Fanning , 1793-1880 1
- Wickham, Williams Carter, 1820-1888 1 ∧ less