Scope and Contents
This collection consists of 17 boxes. The main characteristics of this collection are extensive correspondence, organizational papers including Board of Directors and various committee minutes and financial reports. Another strong characteristic of this collection are papers and photographs representing the social events within the Alumni Association and those sponsored by the Alumni Association involving the School of Nursing. Awards and Scholarships sponsored and presented by the Alumni Association are also represented in this collection.
Biographical / Historical
The University of Virginia School of Nursing Alumni Association was organized in 1916 with 31 charter members. “All graduates of the diploma, and undergraduate, graduate and certificate programs are members of the University of Virginia School of Nursing Alumni Association” (By-Laws, revised 1992). The organization has grown in membership and in service to the School of Nursing and the community. In 1951, in recognition of the School of Nursing’s Golden Anniversary, the Alumnae sponsored several activities. In 1969 an executive secretary was employed by the association. In 1975, after the death of Zula Mae Barber Bice (acting dean of School of Nursing 1961-1962), the Alumni Association helped establish the annual lectureship in Bice’s honor. Under the leadership of Jeanette Lancaster, Dean of School of Nursing, 1989, the School of Nursing and the Alumni Association developed a vigorous partnership and created an Advisory Board in 1991 consisting of alumni, faculty, business and professional leaders who provide advice and support to the School of Nursing.
The aims of the Alumni Association, as stated by their by-laws (revised 1992), are to serve as a resource for nursing alumni, work closely with and assist the University of Virginia School of Nursing Administration through financial and organizational support, provide monetary support and provide opportunity for learning the Science of Nursing through sponsored programs. The leadership of this association consists of elected officers including a President, President-Elect, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and two members at large, a Board of Directors which consists of five elected officers and two members at large, the employees of the association which consists of the Executive Director and Secretary and various committees. The organization is funded solely by the generous donations of the members and membership dues.