COLLECTION DESCRIPTION & ARRANGEMENT
This small collection of photographs consists of 33 reproductions of historical photos, taken in 1910, of employees and people who were in charge of different departments of what was then called the Bureau of Chemistry. In addition to the collection, there is a Memorandum to the FDA Leadership Council (2006?) about the centennial anniversary, with some historical facts and photocopies of past commemorative documents.
Scope and Contents
This small collection of photographs was donated to Special Collections by Prof. Richard Merrill in July 2007.
Biographical / Historical
The public furor surrounding the 1905 publication of the novel The Jungle triggered the passage of both the Food and Drug Act and the Meat Inspection Act were in 1906. In 1927, USDA's Bureau of Chemistry, which enforced this act, was reorganized, and it became the Food, Drug, and Insecticide Administration. It was renamed the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1931. In 1940, the FDA was transferred from USDA to the Federal Security Agency, which became, in 1953, the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare -- now the Department of Health and Human Services.
Arthur J. Morris Law Library 580 Massie Road University of Virginia
CharlottesvilleVirginia22903United States firstname.lastname@example.org
Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1910 Collection of Historical Photographs. Arthur J. Morris Law Library Special Collections. https://archives.lib.virginia.edu/repositories/4/resources/723 Accessed September 20, 2020.
Potentially Offensive Materials Disclaimer
The respective archives of the University of Virginia value access to their growing collections of materials that document the
history of UVA and its wider community. Digital access to the materials enhances their use and promotes wider availability of
historical records in the interests of teaching, research, and learning. Some materials contained within our collections and made
digitally accessible may not be consistent with the positions, norms, and values of the University of Virginia community. These
materials are products of their particular time and place and may represent positions, norms, values, and language which patrons
may find offensive or disturbing. However, these records reflect the shared attitudes and values of the community from which they
were collected and thus constitute an important social record. The Archives of the University of Virginia are committed to
providing access to these items and strive to include contextual information for them through descriptive records and, where
considered necessary, statements attached to digitized objects that issue a warning about potentially sensitive content.